Thursday, April 11, 2013

Snow Day in April

I stayed home today because we had a serious snowstorm. The first one this year where it truly seemed unsafe to drive - and I had to wait until April to get it! This time of year, I'd like to be raking up the yard, meeting this year's flock of chickens, and going for walks out here in the country. Hopefully the snow melts quickly and we can move on to a few weeks of spring before summer hits.

I just finished a pair of socks for my friend Mallory. She's a major Harry Potter fan, and I read all the books for the first time this winter. We were talking about the limited edition HP sock yarn Opal put out a few years ago, and she asked me to knit a pair of socks for her. She feels pretty certain she'd be sorted into Slytherin, so I knit up these socks for her in Knit Picks Essential Kettle Dyed (old school!) and Regia Baby.

I hope she loves them!

Shepherd's Harvest, the MN sheep and wool festival, is coming up in a few weeks. I look forward to it every year and try to knit something special for it. This year, I'm knitting a shawl with my own handspun yarn. The fiber is SW merino from Cloudlover, and I bought it at the festival last year. I've been spinning it since before November (or more accurately, not spinning it) and just finished it a week or two ago. I got a lightweight yarn, two-plied, and I picked the Sunlight Shawl for Sad People to show it off. The colorway is called Morocco and I love, love, love it.

I didn't count my yardage but I have a feeling this is going to be a huge shawl once completed. I'm going to a big conference in Duluth this weekend with lots of speakers, so I'll get some good knitting time in. I have about 4 weeks to finish it, so the countdown is on!

 

3 comments:

  1. Your handspun looks lovely! The shawl is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute socks! Love the pattern you picked for your pretty handspun - another one added to my favs!
    Linda blogs at Spinning First

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE MY SOCKS!!! Brielle is jealous so I will need to knit a pair of Gryfinndor socks, once you teach me how to knit :)

    ReplyDelete