Thursday, October 20, 2011

The haul

 So, at Rhinebeck, one buys stuff. Some folks I've heard, only buy a couple of things, and more power to them. Me on the other hand... well, let's just say, mama made it rain. I mean, I was saving for this trip since I decided to make it my new year's resolution in January. So I was in it to win it, and fortunately my shopping companions were as well.
This is what 21 pounds of yarn and fiber looks like (from on top of a chair!):


 Doesn't seem like much? Let's add a Jenna for scale:

 
Now, not all of that pile is mine! Just this bunch:

L to R, starting on the bottom: 2 skeins of Into the Whirled Gloucester Sock for a sooperseekrit xmas present (only 66 days til xmas!), 3 skeins of Miss Babs YOWZA Whatta Skein! in a bot-matching dyelot. This was my mistake - I went back for a 3rd skein on Sunday and although it says its the same color, it is even more differnt in person. I think the first skeins I got were mislabelled. Continuing on: Fiber Optic Yarns superwash merino fiber, Dancing Leaf Farm Sock Hop in my FAVORITEST colors, Creatively Dyed yarn Sami (in gold) and Sanguine Gryphon Skinny Bugga - to be used together in a shawl. Some more sooperseekrit yarn (shh!), a stunning Jenna-green skein of Bittersweet Woolery Star Dust sock yarn with sparkle in it (YAY!) and 3 skeins of Bittersweet Woolery Sweet Nothings Silken merino/silk lace yarn, to be used for a laceweight tunic sweater.
Top row, L-R: 8oz of mohair/merino/nylon from Happy Hands, as well as a gorgeous 4 oz of polworth roving from Happy Hands as well. Three skeins of merino/mohair in slightly varying teal-y skeins, but it should blend in a sweater if I alternate rows like a good knitter. 3 skeins of icelandic wool (green, natural, and brown) from Frelsi Farms, also for sooperseekrit xmas knitting, and finally: a little dumpling bag for carrying projects around. About 7 pounds all together, and I got it all to fit in one carry-on! Skillz.

So that's my yarn haul. I think I did good for myself, got things I love as well as some things outside my comfort zone. I might email Miss Babs to see if I can exchange or return the one non-matching skein, we'll see!

2 comments:

  1. I'm still in awe. I wonder what the TSA guys thought. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one beautiful haul! Rhinebeck was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete