Sunday, July 10, 2011

Training

Now that I've done the hard work of losing 70 pounds (from March '10-Nov '10) I have the harder work of keeping it off. It's definitely a different kind of reward, as I miss jumping on the scale each week to see how much I've lost. It's so important to me to make fitness my "new normal" and maintain good habits and choices.

Another hard thing is I have to challenge myself physically so much more because of my improved fitness level. 20 minutes on the elliptical was once jaw-dropping for me. Now I try to do 60 minutes of cardio 3x/week. I go to the YMCA, and absolutely love it. (Quick plug for supporting community-centered organizations rather than profit-driven private gyms that promote comparison and shame. Go YMCA!!!) I also choose to do strength training now to stay toned and challenge myself. I've really been loving Bodyrock.tv, a free website that posts several workouts weekly focusing on high-intensity interval training. Here's some recent ones I liked:
Pound-Melting Workout
One leg reptile push-up (the last move described in this workout)
Belly Blaster
As a caveat, the woman who does the workout demonstrations dresses pretty, ahem, scantily, and some of the photos and workout titles are pretty suggestive. So if you're an off-the-charts prude and are somehow still friends with me, don't say you weren't warned.
So anyway, I try to do a Bodyrock workout twice/week, with modifications. I don't do hundreds of reps  and often do shortened workouts. I still notice improved strength and definition, so its alright.

I also get bored with the things I choose to do routinely. I'm not able to do the same workouts over and over (part of why I like the Bodyrock stuff) without getting burnt out. So I've been trying to do more cycling. I was pretty proud of myself last weekend. I rode 46 miles over two days with Brian. Got a little crispy in the sun but it was worth it.

One of the nice things about being at a weight I'm maintaining, I no longer restrict myself to 1200 calories a day. That's one thing when I was intensely in weight-loss mode, with a very specific meal plan. Now I do 1600-2000 calories, with some (no too many!) "splurge" days. Much more realistic.

I'm sort of half-assed training for the Dirt Bag ride, or a modified version of it. From the website:
"The Dirt Bag is a long ass gravel based ride through the lovely country side of central Minnesota."
 It's 100 miles, but I probably won't be doing that many. Maybe more like 50 or 60 miles, but October is a long way from now.

So those are some of the things I'm working on. My friend Mr. Anderson probably wouldn't qualify what I do as "training", but maybe some day soon I'll be able to join him on one of his training sessions. Keep on keepin' on! What do you do to stay healthy and active? What's part of your fit life? Ideas are very welcome! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment