Monday, July 2, 2012

Super summer veggie salad

Hey! It's the first day of July! Can you believe that?!

My parents came over and grilled out with me today while Brian was at work. My mom bought a grill on Craigslist for $30, and my dad spiffed it up by adding a new handle, igniter switch, and tank. Thanks, guys! They brought it over with some burgers and boca burgers. My mom had to test out their handiwork!

 

Aren't they so cute? :)

For my contribution, I made a pasta salad. I wanted something light but tasty. I threw together this vegan variation on the fly, and included lots of summer veggies. It's a twist on the Italian pasta salad that's common around here in Central Minnesota - only that version typically has things like mozzarella, pepperoni, cheddar cheese, etc. If you want a fresher pasta salad for your next gathering, try mine!

 

Here's what I did:

Cook half a box of pasta according to directions and run it under cool water. I used the store brand bow tie pasta.

Mix in a large bowl:

A diced carrot, some chopped red onion, 5 mini sweet peppers sliced into rings, a small can of black olives, 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (please use fresh herbs! It tastes like summer!), a chopped crown of fresh broccoli, a can of rinsed kidney beans, and half a yellow summer squash, sliced thinly. (even if you don't like squash, just use it anyway. It soaks up the dressing and you won't even taste it!)

Add the cooled pasta and 2/3 of a bottle of Wishbone Fat Free Italian dressing. I like this brand because it is sweetened with stevia instead of Splenda, and contains no dairy. Win! Stir it all together to blend. Some people like to chill their pasta salad so the favors blend for a while - I like my food favors pretty distinct, personally, so I just mixed it up and served it. Yum! It made 6 generous (like, 2 cups per) servings which came in at 285 calories per serving. My dad couldnt get enough! That little bowl in the picture was all that was leftover - and then Brian and I finished it for supper.

What are your favorite grilling recipes?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment