Saturday, June 4, 2011

Happy Birthday, Catie!




My beautiful baby sister turned 20 yesterday! We celebrated Wednesday with a cake.

I don't know what all to say about my sister. We're 7 years apart and it seems like we have so little in common. I love her so much and yet I spend so little time with her, our lives have been and continue to be very different. It really feels like we grew up in different families. I was asked to leave home at 17, when she was only 10, and I wasn't welcome there for a number of years. I regret not being there for her more as she was growing up, and it sucks so much that I don't ask to be a bigger part of her life. A woman I know just lost her sister to cancer, and the way she talked about her relationship with her sister was so moving. I feel like if I lost my sister, I would be devastated because I didn't really get the opportunity to know her. At the same time, I don't know how to begin. One thing I know about Catie is that we both have those family traits of being stubborn, holding grudges, and being easily offended. Not great qualities to build a relationship on. I've been saying for years that maybe we'll be closer when we're older - well, now is that time. But where to begin?

No comments:

Post a Comment